This simple yet delicious sauce can be made in minutes. The white sauce, otherwise known as bechamel can be an absolute nightmare to someone who doesn’t know how to make. Luckily, you have the guide here to help you create a perfect creamy sauce.
You can use this sauce to help make a lasagne or dress up to cover your vegetables in a nice delicious sauce.
Here are the things you need to get started:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 600ml of milk
- Salt and white pepper for seasoning
Step by step guide to making a white sauce:
- Melt the butter. In a small saucepan, melt the butter on a low heat until a liquid has formed.
- Add the flour. Pop in the flour over the melted butter, take the pan off the heat and stir until a paste forms.
- Add the milk. Place the pan back over the heat and pour the milk in gradually whilst continuing to stir until you get a smooth paste and the sauce has thickened.
- Season to taste. Add in the salt and white pepper to your liking and serve hot over vegetables or use in your lasagne later.
You can dress this up by adding in some thyme for your Sunday roast or a little paprika to go over your fisherman’s pie. Add in some chopped parsley for a little more colour also. Either way you can experiment with this a lot so get creative!
There you have it, a simple, smooth and creamy sauce to go with your food. Let me know how this worked out for you in the comments below. Also if you have any great ideas on how to dress up the sauce I would love to know.