One amazing and quickfire ways to spice up your cooking is a batter mix. This can be used to make an amazing fish and chips meal or to make a great tempura vegetables side dish. This is very popular in Asian cuisine and is really simple to make. Providing you have a fryer or the very least a large pot on the stove full of oil.
Things you will need:
- Mixing Bowl
- 4 Heaped tablespoons of self raising flour
- 100g Olive oil
- Salt and ground white pepper for seasoning
As you can see by the ingredients, and majority of households will already have these ingredients in the cupboard. This is really simple and below I am going to tell you how.
- Place your flour into the mixing bowl and create a well.
- Add in the oil, salt and a pinch of white pepper.
- Slowly add in the water and mix until a paste forms. You want to add the water in slowly to stop the batter becoming too much of a liquid, so that the batter does not run off your food once dropped into the fryer.
- Once you have a slightly thick paste, gently tap the bowl against a surface to release any air in the batter.
- Leave to stand in a cool and dry place for 20 minutes before using to fry.
There you have it. Another simple and great cooking tip to maximize those ingredients in your home. Cooking does not have to be difficult and we have found another way to have another great meal.
I hope this is a great help for whatever you use for batter for. Please let me know in the comments section what foods you used this for.