At home this is one of the favourites that everybody enjoys when I cook it. The Saag Aloo side dish goes great with my simple tasting curry recipe. At the time of writing this post, its on the menu for dinner tonight so I thought I would post the recipe of the Saag Aloo for everyone who reads this blog to enjoy sometime.
According to the Oxford Dictionary Website, Saag Aloo is a South Asian dish of Potatoes and Spinach cooked with a variety of spices originating from the 1960’s. Notice how I say a variety of spices, this will let you explore different recipes and make to your own taste. There does not have to be a specific way. I am going to show you my way and I am sure is a popular way among other meal makers alike.
Lets get started on the recipe, below I am going to show you how I make mine.
- 2 Large Potatoes (Peeled and cut into small cubes)
- Pinch of Cumin Seeds
- Teaspoon of Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves chopped finely
- 1 Teaspoon of Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon of Ginger peeled and grated
- 1 Knob of Butter
- 1 Small/Medium sized Onion chopped roughly
- 400g of fresh Spinach
- 1 Tablespoon of Water
How To Make
- Boil Potatoes. Boil your peeled and cut potatoes for about 10 minutes. After about 8 minutes check to make sure your potatoes are not over cooked by using the pointed end of a knife to find out if they are soft.
- In a pan, fry your cumin seeds, butter and oil on a low to medium heat until the cumin seeds are slightly brown.
- Fry some onions. Throw in your roughly chopped onions for 2 minutes
- Add in your garlic and ginger until the onions, garlic and ginger start to turn brown.
- Throw the potatoes in. Add in your boiled potatoes as well as your Turmeric powder and a little water to moisten the dish.
- Nearly there. Finally, add in your spinach and stir into the dish for roughly 4 minutes or until wilted. At this point, the potatoes should start to crumble around the edges.
- Serve immediately.
There you have it. A beautiful side dish to give with your great tasting curry. This is great as a party side for pretty much any occasion. Have some fun with it and try some other spices and see what works for you. I hope this helps and you enjoy cooking. Do you have any other ways of cooking Saag Aloo? I would love to know, please let me know in the comments below.
You may also like: